Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Letter to My Godson

A Letter to My Godson(s)

Isaiah,

It has been almost two years since I wrote to you for the first time. There are moments that it seems like yesterday. Other days, it feels like a lifetime. I am reminded of you constantly; every morning when I pass your picture in our kitchen, every evening when I put Bowman to bed asking you to watch over him, and countless moments in between. I think you know by now, I am a very proud Godfather.

Ironically, the sequence of events from today (February 28, 2012) was strikingly similar to that Monday in May 2010. A text from your Dad. An urgent call from Uncle Tim. A scramble to find a one way flight from Sacramento to Oklahoma City. Hurriedly packing a suitcase. Feeling anxiety for your Mom and Dad. Wondering how your brother is doing. A rushed kiss goodbye to Allison and Bowman. A tear filled plane flight.

So much was similar.

So much is different.

I will never forget May 17, 2010. I will never forget the pain. I will never forget the tears we shed and group hugs we shared with your parents. I will never forget the great memories we created in your name that week when old stories were told and laughter was our only medicine. Time does heal wounds, but my scar will remain forever. And I wear it proudly. Allison and I are honored to memorialize you through our son Bowman’s middle name.

Today, the tears of sorrow have been replaced by cheers of joy. The emptiness I felt that May afternoon has gradually been filled (now overflowing) with anticipation and excitement. I am not rushing to Oklahoma to mourn your loss - I am rushing to Oklahoma to celebrate your gift.

And your gift has arrived. He is 8lbs 6oz. He is 20.5 inches long. He is Walker Seth Stone. And I am his Godfather. Humbled and honored. When he opened his eyes for the first time, he was laying in my arms.

Thank you Isaiah. I will make you proud.

AJ

1 comment:

  1. Love you guys so much. Can't thank you enough for all that you do for us, but most of all, for being the best friends we could ever have. WE are the ones who are honored to have you as our boys Godfather. Love you!

    ReplyDelete