Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The day I *didn't* throw-up on my baby


So Mama got the stomach flu. Big time.

It was Sunday at 4:15PM, AJ had flown to Irvine for Monday meetings, and I was at the house getting ready to go out with Bowman. I had started to feel a little nauseous, which can happen to me from time to time with low blood sugar borderline hypoglycemia issues. I ate a banana and wrote it off.

At about 5:15 Bowman and I were standing in line at our local natural foods grocery store with a few things to pay for... all the sudden... IT was happening... my mouth started to water and seconds later my stomach started to heave. I haven't thrown up in a public place since I was single digits in age, 5 year old maybe 7? Oh my goodness it was happening, I couldn't believe it. I dropped my basked on the floor at the checkout line and bolted toward the restroom with my hand over my mouth. My stomach heaved stronger and stronger, my only saving grace was my hand over my mouth but I knew that would only buy me mere seconds until out it came.

What I haven't mentioned yet is that Bowman was in the FRONT carrier... yes, on me!!!
As I ran with my hand over my mouth and my body involuntarily heaving the contents of my stomach up to daylight, all I could think was "OH MY GOD I'm going to throw up on my BABY!!!" the back of his beautiful blond fuzzy head resting at my chin level, as he enjoyed the exciting ride in his baby bjorn, with no idea about how exciting things were about to get!

Some how by the grace of GOD #1) the bathroom was open; the bathrooms are ALWAYS occupied at this place. I threw my shoulder into the door and it opened, and #2) somehow, I don't know how, I was able to maneuver and twist to move the baby aside as I projectile vomited into the toilet...and perhaps the floor and the wall. These front carrier harnesses are tight, they are supposed to fit snug as you don't want your baby bobbling around unsecured on your body, Bowman was definitely secured tightly on me, I was just one determined mama.

He was hooting & hollering having a good-ol'time as mama puked her guts out. Oh my gosh it was awful but HOORAY!! I didn't throw up on my baby!

I was so sick I couldn't hold down a tablespoon of liquid for at least the next 12 hours. I had a 101.5 fever, my whole body screamed in aching agony and I had terrible chills. Luckily Bowman welcomes bedtime and goes to sleep with ease. I was really scared by myself and called a friend to make sure she'd have her cell phone by her in case I needed to go to the hospital.

I don't know how I survived but I made it until 7:00AM the next morning when our beloved nanny Caitlin came to relieve me. Once Bowman was safe with Caitlin, I took an ambien and a vicodin and got some rest. I was afraid the pills wouldn't stay down but somehow they did and provided some temporary relief from the sleep deprivation and agony that gripped my body.

Lunch today was the first meal that stayed in place, and I still ache something terrible. That's like 96 hours or something ridiculous.

But I didn't throw-up on my sweet baby's precious head!!

...yeah, he has no idea what almost happened ;)

2 comments:

  1. Over and over again I find myself laughing at this story. Poor Alli! Hope you are still feeling better!!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got that same bug in January. Gross, yucky, terrible. But I DID lose 4 pounds!
    Being sick when you have kids is THE WORST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete