Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

A very hard decision

I made a very difficult decision this week. I decided to wean.

I have been preparing for this decision for a few weeks now. I started by researching and ordering baby probiotic drops for Bowman. I began the transition by giving him daily probiotic drops for a full week before introducing his first taste of formula. Then we went to see Dr. Lee the day I planned on giving him his first formula to have him weighed and checked out.

So B had his first formula last Friday night. Ughhhhhh! It's was so hard actually DO it after talking and silently "threatening" each time I had to get my frenemy the breast pump out. (I say frenemy because I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the pump. I love it because it allowed me to feed my baby the milk my body made for him, I hated it because I felt like it was constantly attached to me and such a draaaaag to have to pump all the time!) I do have to give credit where credit is due, the pump did do a great job for me though- thank you Medela, your contraption made it possible for me to feed my son for 15 solid weeks, and the kid is 95th percentile in all three weight, length and head. Yes, thank you Medela Pump In Style Advance Shoulder Bag, and now buhhhh bye!

In ditching the pump I had no idea that cabbage leaves and sage would become my new best friends/worst enemies...more on that later...

For the past week Bowman has been eating bottles with a mixture 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 enfamil. Despite all of my painstaking worry and concern, he is doing AWESOME! His poopsies are BETTER than they were before, and that I know I can attribute to the probiotics. The probiotics are wonderful, they come in teenyweeny bottles that arrive in quite the serious packaging. They have to be refrigerated so they arrive in this styrofoam cube with ice gel packs inside, its just funny for such a small bottle. The first round worked so well that I ordered 2 bottles this time. Of course, I did a ton of research before deciding what ones I would buy, the drops are called BioGaia from Everidis, and I lucked out with a wonderful probiotic for Baybo.


Any way, I knew I was being neurotic with my fretting over actually making the decision to stop pumping. Every time I started to be hard on myself or start to feel bad or guilty I reminded myself of how many friends I have with beautiful healthy adorable little children that were fed formula, and I knew that Bowman would be just fine. I keep telling myself that I should feel proud and grateful I was able to go as long as I did, rather than feel immense guilt over stopping. So here's 2 pats on the back for me (I still feel guilty tho:)

Since October 28th I worked hard to stock our freezer up with many many bags of booby milk, so he has at least another months worth. Check out the fruits of my labor...


(warning TMI zone below) I have to share this because its too intense not to...

I have to say that weaning is almost as uncomfortable as being 9 months pregnant. To go from producing 6oz from each side 4 times a day to zero is very painful. I allow myself to pump 2 oz from each side, once at 6am and once at 6pm, and it does help. I read everywhere that drinking sage tea and cabbage leaf compress help to dry milk supply up. That's right, wearing cabbage leaves in your bra! I was in so much pain I was willing to try anything so I marched to the super market and bought me a head of cabbage and in it went! It was hilarious, I couldn't believe I was doing it but it felt so good!
So I have my bra stuffed with cabbage and I'm choking down a 1/4 teaspoon of sage from the spice cabinet every 3 hours.... I think I'm in too much discomfort to feel guilty at this point. I just keep telling myself it will be over soon!



I leave you with a photo of Baybo in his baby dragon costume from last weekend and sleeping-melting baby face...



3 comments:

  1. So proud of you for breastfeeding for soooo long! But...welcome back! Now, go have an ENTIRE bottle of Cakebread Chardonay. On me. Put it on my tab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the 3 of us should get together for that bottle and maybe add 2 more to the table, just because:-)

    ReplyDelete