Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

6 Weeks HolyMoly!



Bowman turned 6 weeks old this past Friday! We also went to the doctor on Friday to discover that our baby boy weighs in just shy of 13 pounds (12lbs 13 oz!) He's a whopper! I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for being able to keep up with his huge appetite, so far he is 100% breastfed which has been major work for his momma :) I TOTALLY understand why some mothers either choose to or HAVE to incorporate formula into feeding their babies. I always said I wanted to breastfeed for 1 year but now I have my eye on 6 months ;) We'll see where we end up...

Today is AJ's first day back to work. It has been beyond amazing that he was able to take 6 weeks off and the three of us were able to have such bonding time together. Thank goodness he has a team of fantastic reps that did an awesome job and he was able to relax and have peace of mind while he was out. There is just nothing like the past 6 weeks we've had together. Such a blessing! I can say for sure that having AJ here and the two of us sharing and participating in everything together has kept my head on straight.


I am actually able to write this right now because our Doula, Anita (also our hypobirthing instructor,) is here with Bowman. I joke that she's my Rent-A-Gramma, but she's so much more. I feel 110% confident in leaving B with her, she has amazing baby instinct/skills. When she comes to the house, I can hand her the baby and go take a nap or do whatever I want to, or she can help me give him a bath, or all sorts of mothering tips and advice. Anita is a professional lactation consultant and is a wealth of knowledge on breastfeeding. She gave me an herbal tea recipe that soothes gas in his tummy: 2 teaspoons Chamomile, 1 teaspoon fennel seed and 1 teaspoon catnip. Steep for 10 minutes drink and its in your milk after 20 minutes. At AJ's insistence, she's coming to help me 3 days a week until I go back to work.


At 3 weeks old, Bowman started to fuss a little during feeding. We wrote it off as common fussiness and him getting tired. But after 3 weeks it finally donned on us that the ONLY time he ever fusses is while he's eating! Otherwise baby B NEVER cries. This made me think he was experiencing discomfort while eating. It turns out he has what our doctor refers to as "fat-baby reflux" meaning that he eats so much he has some reflux that's causing discomfort (as opposed to very serious forms of reflux some babies get that is so bad they don't keep any milk down and cant gain weight :( So he gave us a prescription for baby Zantac and that seems to be helping our little guy, I'd say his mealtime crying is down about 85%. I just feel bad it took us 3 weeks to realize that hmmmmmm maybe this means more than "just fussy"
Last weekend we had a visit from Grampa Jack and Gramma D! We had so much fun and were so happy they could come to California from Tulsa and meet their grandson! We love them so much :)

Well that's all for now, its nap time for this momma :)
Here are some pictures from the past 2 weeks...





















2 comments:

  1. I love all the new pics friend! Thank you for taking the time to keep us who are so far away updated on this precious baby:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alli & AJ,
    What a precious boy you have!! Love him! I know it's hard to tell this early, but I think he may look like his daddy!! Also, you are a supermom! SERIOUSLY, good gracious! (My goal with Drake was 6 months & I made it 3 months & my goal with Graham was 3 months & I made it 2 weeks! HA! :)) They play these WIC commercials on the radio here & they say whatever you do, be proud of yourself because every ounce counts. I like that message! :) Congrats again on your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete