Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

A Letter to my Godson



Isaiah,

When your parents asked me to be your Godfather, I accepted my assignment with equal seriousness and excitement. As luck would have it, since you were born last June, I was actually able to see you six times in less than a year - quite a feat considering we live 2000 miles apart. It has been awesome! Frankly, there are only a handful of people that I have seen that many times in the last 12 months. I held you and played with you just 8 days ago. I now know what a gift that time with you was.

Since your birth, I have quietly vowed to be there for each birthday, every major event, and as many athletic events as possible. I daydreamed about teaching you to play golf, paying for your first Vegas trip, watching you graduate, seeing you get married, listening to the stories you were too embarrassed to tell your parents and just spending special time with you, my Godson, one on one. I couldn't wait for you, Jackson, CJ and Bowman to grow up together.

Thank you for allowing me to be a witness to your courage and strength. May you run free – free of that afflicting condition. May your spirit flourish – flourish free of the challenges that you faced. May you share in all the joys of watching your brother, mother, and father flourish in your memory. May you share your incredible strength. My heart is broken. Please bestow some of that strength upon me.

Overall, my charge has been to care for you should tragedy strike. I have taken my assignment very seriously.

Tragedy has struck – my task has changed.

My duty is now to protect your family. I make a promise to you today that I will do just that. Right now as I write this, I am on a plane flying to be by their side.

So as my first assignment, I ask you a favor. Tonight, when you are breaking bread with God and smiling down on all of us, ask him to take it easy on your parents. You know they won’t ask – their faith is strong and unbreakable. They are ready for whatever God puts in front of them. They have demonstrated incredible strength, courage and faith in the face of impossible circumstances.

So I am asking for God to have mercy on Renzi and LeeAnne Stone. Enough is enough. Somehow, someway bring them peace.

I love you Baby Isaiah. I miss you.

AJ



4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for being there for our wonderful cousins. I know that you both have been amazing friends and am so grateful that they have you during this terrible, tragic time. Please give them strong arms to be held in and send my love from afar. I'm just heartbroken at their loss and don't even know how to express it.

    All my love, Amanda Bowman

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless You. Thank you for sharing. Amanda Clark

    ReplyDelete
  3. AJ & Alli,
    What a beautiful tribute/letter to Isaiah. I am so sorry for your loss of this precious, precious baby boy.
    Love,
    LB

    ReplyDelete