Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

28 Weeks- The Third Trimester Begins!!!

I just can't believe we're on the home stretch! Marked by cravings for canned peaches (which i've never really eaten in my life) and cottage cheese, today I begin the third trimester of this pregnancy. I feel great, but sometimes I feel kinda slow getting around. The basketball is feeling more and more like a bowling ball these days!! The past 3 nights at around 10:30 Bowman really gets moving! Kickboxing/Dance party in the tummy! It totally cracks me up- my belly feels like its moving on all sides, I had no idea a little baby could move so fast, and I wonder what it is with the timing? We'll see how long he keeps it up.
All of the websites say that Bowman can dream now, I wonder what he dreams about? His hearing is more developed so we need to start reading to him more often. I have made up a few songs that I sing to him and it's amazing because he does respond with movement when I sing. At 28 weeks the averages are about 15 inches long and about 2.5 pounds. The websites also say that I'm supposed to gain 10lbs during the next 12 weeks... Eeeeeek!!

Tomorrow morning we go in for the dreaded glucose screening. I HATE needles, and having to sit in the lab for an hour after drinking the sugar formula doesn't sound like a great start to a Friday morning, but at least I'll have it out of the way. I seriously thought about skipping the test but AJ wouldn't let me. It's important because it screens for gestational diabetes which can develop during pregnancy accompanied by sorts of issues and complications. So hopefully I'm all clear!

AJ's foot is looking much better- lots of the swelling has gone down. Of course he never acted like anything was wrong, I was the only one in our household that thought it was a big deal :)

In a few more weeks we start our birthing classes. I'm so excited! I'll write more about it once we start, but the method we've chosen is called HypnoBirthing. This is a good description of the birthing method objective from the HypnoBirthing website: "You will gain an understanding of how the birthing muscles work in perfect harmony--as they were designed to--when your body is sufficiently relaxed and you trust birth. You will learn how to achieve this kind of relaxation, free of the resistance that fear creates, and you will learn to use your natural birthing instincts for a calm, serene and comfortable birth. "

It makes so much sense to me. I've done hours and hours of research and reading about this natural method and its successes- I just soak it all up like a sponge. It's been encouraging to read all the stories written by mothers that followed this method and had wonderful birth experiences. It is my biggest wish that I can have Bowman without unnecessary medical intervention- I want to bring him into a calm and serene environment and if at all possible, without being exposed to epidural pain medication, and I think this method can teach me what I need to achieve this :) [It's funny because in all honesty the thought of a needle in my spine literally scares me a million times more than anything else related to giving birth (afore mentioned needle phobia, no joke!). I definitely feel a huge relief in my choice to go a different route- I mean talk about high blood pressure, the anticipation alone would be enough to do me in!!] The hospital and OB group we recently switched to, encourage mothers to have their babies naturally and it feels great to know I will be in an environment that fully supports the method we've chosen.

One thing that caught me off guard is the negativity and cynicism I've encountered from women when I tell them about the calm gentle birth we plan to have. Everyone has a different experience and for me, I believe it's completely possible.

Tonight our friends Tim and Natalie arrive- I'm excited to spend some fun time with them this weekend in beautiful Napa Valley!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm so excited for you and Aaron! I can't believe how fast that went... even though I feel forever away! haha. Congrats on the 3rd trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are trying hynobirthing! I wish I would have the first time around and plan to next time. I have heard that it is amazing!
    I got an epidural at 8.5 cms dilated (during the "transition" phase which is miserable)and I was SO scared to get it. I actually had a panic attack b/c of the pain and fear of the epidural combined and I SWEAR it ended up being nothing. I don't remember it, it didn't hurt and I couldn't see it. So...if you have to do it, just know that it is so not as scary/painful as you are imagining it to be.
    Also, I asked for a light one and with the button that allowed me to control it so I felt a good portion of the rest of the birth, which I think made it easier to do.

    ReplyDelete