Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Home: A reflection of the soul. Nursery: A reflection of love.

First, it's important to understand a little background on the topic i'm about to get into.

I was raised by two loving and wonderful parents who happen to be an Architect (father) and a commercial Designer (mother), both extremely talented and sucessful- I was the kid drawing architectural floorplans at age 7. Seriously. Needless to say this stuff rubbed off just a little and is kinda sorta in my blood. Why didn't I become and Architect? I guess we'll never know but it probably would have been a good idea :)

My surroundings have always been an important part of my life. I have come to recognize that my surroundings are truly an expression of who I am on the inside- a reflection of who I am that in turn feeds my soul and gives me back the love and care that I put out.

Our home is a place we love, that contains our love for one another and a place that we very much enjoy spending time. The space is comfortable, vivid, refreshing, relaxed, and well-intended; reflective of our energy and who we are. There is thought and sentiment behind most every item in our home, each piece of furniture carefully selected over time, original artworks we have collected over time. The home, like life, is a constantly evolving collection of experiences and emotions we choose to surround ourselves with.

The house was originally built in the 1920's, it's a Craftsman style 2-story bungalow. Just shy of 2000sf, it's much much smaller than homes we've owned in the past, but I think its safe to say we love it the most. As I firmly believe your personality should dictate your surroundings- it took thought and planning in order to inject our modern and vibrant personalities into this old home containing much of the original craftsman detail worthy of appreciation. I wasn't working for a while so I really had fun with it, and over the past 2.5 years it has become a perfect meld; you can't really tell where the 1920's detail stops and our modern taste starts, it's just us :)

So when it came time to plan a nursery for our baby I already knew what I had in mind (I should mention well before I knew the sex), - calm, clean and serene; well restrained with intentional touches of vibrance and excitement. I really am not interested in anything overly frilly (whatever the boy version of frilly is), juvenile or childish, or exceedingly gender-driven. I want a space that, upon entrance evokes a soothing exhale and inspires the desire to sit and stay a while with it's precious occupant.

It has already been lots of fun planning the concept and energy of the space and finding the contents accordingly. I will be sharing tid-bits, inspirations and ideas as we go along :)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, maybe you should have been a writer???

    Love your blog, Allison!

    ReplyDelete