Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Big Bernard Jack

4 weeks ago we took our boys to the vet for a check up. I requested a full blood panel to be run on Bernie because he's 6 years old and super healthy- a blood panel on a healthy mid-aged dog is a great thing to have because it will serve as a benchmark in the future when they get sick, it makes it easier to identify problems by comparing the sick dogs blood panel to the healthy panel.

A few days later I got a call from our Veterinarian telling me that all 3 of Bernie's liver enzymes were elevated. She said we should wait 4 weeks and re-test, because sometimes they rise and drop. Well 4-weeks was Saturday and we got the not so good news that they are still high. I think we're in good shape, again, because this is a dog that appears to be completely healthy and his normal adorable self, so I think it means whatever the problem is- we will catch it early. I am taking him in to see the Radiologist this morning for abdominal ultrasounds. Hopefully the Radiologist will find something conclusive and we can move forward.

In the meantime I have done some research and am starting him on Milk Thistle supplement which I have read can be very helpful in treating conditions associated with the liver.

Saturday was kind of tough, we cried a lot because Bernard is our original baby- he is a gift in our life, a precious soul and we love him so much. It's heartbreaking to fathom something serious could be wrong. But we have our faith that all will be ok!!




No comments:

Post a Comment